SMMA is seeking a Project Accountant to join SMMA’s Accounting department. Our Accounting team is part of an integrated design firm that unites a dynamic mix of architects, engineers, technologists, researchers, and industry experts, driven to provide responsible, well-crafted, and venturesome design solutions to clients in the Boston area and beyond. United by a common purpose, we thrive on cross-discipline collaboration and welcome good ideas from wherever they come. We offer a fast-paced, team-oriented environment that promotes intellectual and creative growth.
Project Accountant will perform a variety of Accounts Payable, Billing, Payroll and project accounting duties. This individual will work closely with Project Managers and Department Managers. We are looking for a tech savvy, well-organized, detail-oriented, and accurate individual.
- Manage the entire financial project life cycle with Project Managers and Department Managers;
- Create new projects in Deltek’s Enterprise Resource Planning system
- Maintain accurate projections of staffing needs
- Maintain future billing projections with existing and potential projects
- Create purchase orders for consultants and maintain accounting of their invoices with a completely electronic review process
- Process and manage the payment schedule of both trade and consultant invoices
- Prepare cash receipts, balance sheet reconciliations and related analyses
- Review bi-weekly electronic employee expense reports
- Monitor operating and payroll bank accounts
- Bachelors in Accounting or Related Degree
- 1 year of experience preferred
- Strong knowledge of MS Excel
- Good interpersonal skills to work closely with upper management
- Detail-oriented and attention to accuracy
- Must be well-organized and flexible with the ability to prioritize tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work in team environment and on individual basis
About the Firm
SMMA remains one of New England’s most unique design firms due to its composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since its incorporation in 1955, the firm focuses on creating lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
The firm was founded by MIT Rensselaer alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, SMMA continues its dedication to a flexible integrated approach while remaining guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence and social responsibility.
SMMA is organized into five studios of market focus: Corporate, Commercial, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, Life Science, and Advanced Technology. At SMMA, studios represent specialized communities of practice working together to foster knowledge flow around common interests. Together, the firm’s studios form a larger design ecosystem, sharing best practices and nurturing professional growth and project excellence.
- Employee-owned firm with Employee Stock Ownership Program
- Hybrid work-from-home policy
- Competitive benefits including paid time-off, company-paid dental plan, company-paid life insurance, and 401(K) matching
- Employee Assistance Program (includes confidential emotional support, legal guidance, and financial resources)
- Mentor/protégé program
- Educational reimbursement
- Licensure and membership reimbursement
- “Lunch and Learns” with internal and external speakers